K+12 A Big joke? - Fr. Jun Mercado
by FR. JUN MERCADO OMI June 7, 2012 1:17pm
- Inadequate classrooms;
- Dismal library and laboratory facilities;
- Textbooks and workbooks are rarity;
- Other learning technologies like audio visuals and computers are practically nil;
- Crowded class sizes of 60 and over per section;
- Inadequate training of teachers;
- Teachers overloaded with tasks over and above their subjects beyond the normal load;
- Poor school management and educational supervision; and
- Very inadequate budgetary allocation for actual education.
- The Net Participation Rate in the elementary level averaged across Mindanao is only 78.5 percent (2006-07 data), well below the national rate of 83.2 percent.
- In ARMM less than 50 percent of pupils who start grade 1 reach grade 6.
- Six out of 10 provinces in Mindanao have the lowest high school completion rate.