What Makes a School Excellent
First, the study makes it clear that "21st Century skills" is a misnomer. These skills are not really specific for our current times, These are likewise important for all centuries that came before us and for those that are about to come.
|Above copied from Nehring et al.|
This is probably not surprising but we can not deny that we look at what subjects are taught or what facilities are present in gauging whether a school is good or not. The "emerging themes" that Nehring and coworkers find in exclennet schools are not possible with one quick glance at a school. If one wants to find where deep leaning occurs one must look deeply. Here they are:
- It was the teacher, not the subject.
- Teachers focused on disciplinary knowledge.
- Teachers were attuned to the social-emotional dynamics of their students.
- Teachers adapted their teaching to the moment.
- Teachers had a wide repertoire of effective moves.
- Instruction was tied to complex assessments.
- Teachers built strong relationships with students.
What makes a school excellent? The answers is an excellent teacher. What makes a teacher excellent? The list is shown above.