DepEd's K to 12: "Stop the School Bus" or "Damn the torpedoes; full speed ahead!"
In addition to the intrinsic weaknesses of the curriculum and the low quality and availability of learning materials, the following only demonstrate how utterly unprepared the government is in implementing the K to 12 curriculum.
- "The Department of Education met only 16 percent of the 43,183 classrooms targeted by its 2014 budget of P37.67 billion under the Basic Education Facilities Fund for Construction of Classrooms provision." - Representative Antonio Tinio
- "DepEd expects that the remaining 800,000 or so students will be absorbed by what they call as ‘non-DepEd schools.’ Bulk of such schools are private education institutions that charge high tuition rates" - Representative Terry Ridon
- Teaching must be seen as the center of the educational universe.
- The role of the federal government in school reform must be substantially reduced.
- We must move away from a "proficiency for all" mentality.
- It is a primary focus of education to prepare students for life and not work.
- Pre-school education should be the foundation for of all school reform.