The True Cause of Drug Addiction
- People can be addicted to innumerable habits and pursuits. Addiction has no special connection with drugs and alcohol.
- People who are living as addicts are exercising as much willpower as anybody else.
- Various genes have measurable effects on the likelihood of addiction in various situations. None of the known genetic effects comprise a predisposition to addiction
- Rather than a disease or a moral failing, addiction is a way that some people adapt to severe dislocation. People often change their ways of adapting during their lifetimes.
- Most addicted people get over their addictions on their own. Professional treatment and self-help groups are only marginally effective in helping those that do not.
- In modern times, most addiction arises because of the dislocation caused by fragmented societies. In fragmented societies, addiction leaves few people untouched.
- Science is only one of the ways of investigating addiction. History, philosophy, economics, and social science are equally important. Advocates of the Official View have used the prestige of science to create an illusion of correctness and certainty.
- Medical treatment cannot substantially reduce addiction, because addiction is best understood as a form of adaptation, rather than a disease. Subduing the current flood of addiction will require social change.
The methods used by President Duterte in fighting crime and curbing problems associated with the drug war in the Philippines are totally insane. To take human lives in the name of justice is despicable. It is hoped that they do not catch on and spread to other countries and Duterte comes to his senses before more tragedy occurs. It’s one thing to be smart on crime, but another, to be totally ignorant about it.Sadly, Duterte simply doubles down on his approach:
|Above copied from The Huffington Post|